Sports Thread #2 for 6/3/09: The Swiss Master Returns, Kuznetsova Gives Serena The Exit Turn- 2009 French Open Day 11

Photo by Clive Bruskill & Ryan Pierse/Getty ImagesComing into this tournament, there was no question who was the number one player on the men's side, while the same question on the women's side was up for open and honest debate. Now, heading into the semifinal stages of this year's French Open, the debate has potentially led to the answer of the number one question flipping flopping on both gender's slides.
The dominating straight set win Roger Federer had today, and the difficult defeat Serena Williams suffered earlier in the day has lead to that scenario happening.
First, on Serena's defeat. I always though that she would crash out of the tournament at this stage, because the quarterfinal stage is always the telling stage to whether a Williams sister is ready to claim a Grand Slam or not, and most importantly, the person on the other side of the net was Svetlana Kuznetsova.
The 7-6 (3), 5-7, 7-5 today by the Russian was the revenge she needed for blowing the quarterfinal match she and Serena had at the Australian Open (where Kuzzie served for the match at 5-3 in the second, for those who don't know or don't remember). It seemed that Kuznetsova was on the verge of blowing another match, a thing that she has done repeatedly against the rest of the game's elite. She let Serena get back into the match and find the range on her serve for the world number two take the match to a third set, where she was able to get an early break.
But it was Serena this time who couldn't hold it steady, and the key game of the match was the final set's sixth game. Up 40-0 at 3-2 serving, the ten time Grand Slam champion absolutely blew the match from then on there, giving away points and letting the confidence of her opponent come back in.
Take nothing away from Kuznetsova, however, in what turned out to be the match of the tournament (only Maria Sharapova's win over Nadia Petrova in the second round comes close), as the world number seven held her nerve this time around. It seemed that the Russian would then blow it with Serena saving two match points at 15-40, 4-5 down. But that wasn't the case, as Kuznetsova produced an authoritative hold to go up 6-5, and close out Williams the younger to advance to another French Open semifinal in a 2 hour, 45 minute classic.
As usual, Serena placed the reason for defeat squarely on her shoulders instead of giving her friend the approbation she deserved.
“Honestly I think I lost because of me and not because of anything she did,” said a disappointed Williams. “I don't think that makes it easier, but it makes me realize that had I done different things I would have been able to win. I guess I was just on a hope and a dream,and now it's over.”
For Kuznetsova however, it still goes on. She'll take on massive surprise Samantha Stosur in the semifinals, who dismissed a nervous and overwhelmed Sorana Cristea 6-1, 6-3 in the first match on Court Chartier. But even with her advancement, it makes things possibly easier for Dinara Safina to claim her first Grand Slam and end claims that she isn't the true No.1 right now. Though they have split their two clay court finals matches this spring, Safina seems destined to win this title, as she handled Kuznetsova easily at Italian Open 6-3, 6-4 after dropping the German Open to her.
Serena had caused a stir by saying that she was still the "No.1" player before going into the tournament, but she rightfully and graciously conceded that today (not that her statement was needed for Safina to not be the number one).
"Well, I already think she's definitely authenticated as the world No. 1. She's there. She has won four tournaments. She's No. 1 already."
Federer probably would say the same thing about Rafael Nadal as well tonight even with Nadal's stunning exit opening the door for that question to get prop up (though it is a little ridiculous though by journalists like me to even prop it up). Nevertheless, Federer knows that the work must come through him, and he was certainly happy with his terrific display today against home favorite Gael Monfils.
The 7-6, 6-2, 6-4 performance was vintage Federer at his top form. Deadly on the forehand side, utterly capricious on his serve, and relentless in being a front runner, Monfils was no match for the 13 time Grand Slam champion after not being able to convert on a set point in the first set tiebreak. But vintage may not be the best word adjective to describe Federer today, because to him (and myself), the game is still just as good as it was while he was the unquestioned best player in the world. That tiebreaker was pivotal, and Federer highlighted that in his post match press conference.
"I think these last four matches have been rather on the difficult side, just because I had some tough starts to the matches," said Federer. "Instead of maybe going ahead a break I was down a break or down a set, you know, being down a set is never really a comforting feeling. That's why for me it was important to get off to a better start today, and thank god I got the first set. For the first time I could play a bit more relaxed match. I think I showed it today. I was able to hit through the ball more. Everything just started to click. That's something I haven't had a whole lot at this tournament yet."
The supreme confidence he showed today should propel him to that elusive French Open title he, and many around the world, want him to final get. But will the pressure of winning the only event left off of his potential "Greatest Player Ever" mantle grow to making him play loose on the forehand side like he has done all year long? Juan Martin del Potro, another young talent who Federer has dismantled in his career including their quarterfinal matchup at the Australian Open, will be the next opponent on Friday who will find out, with all of us, if that will be the case.
Comments