The FIFA World Cup Kickaround Thread For 6/15/14: Argentina - Bosnia (Multiple Versions)
Photo from FIFA
Argentina-Bosnia's The Tactical Thoughts
1) Weary of Bosnia's attack, Sabella has went with a five man defense, where Roja versus Hajrovic will be key. You expected Zabaleta will try and make Lulic defend, but can Roja do the same on the young Galatsaray rising force.
2) With Mascherano and Maxi Rodriguez with him, who will be the creative man that will join the front three, or will Zabaleta be that man. This is a risky formation (in terms of creativity) that Sabella has decided to go to instead of with Palacios as another attacking option.
3) How Dzeko is able to deal with not just two, but maybe three men on him will be interesting. You'd expect Garay and Fernandez to be the main ones on him with Campagano focused more on Mismovic underneath.
4) The dogged Muhamed Besic has a chance to move away from the Hungarian league and be a holding midfield destroying personality. He following around Di Maria and Messi to make sure no constant penetration goes down the middle will be vital. The 21-year-old does have the tenacity to play on big stages like this. His play could allow Pjanic the moments to playmake and go up the field, something he superbly showed at Roma this year.
5) Sead Kolasinac is preferred over Salihovic, the man with the sweetest left foot in the Bundesliga this side of Arjen Robben, at leftback to try and contain Zabaleta coming inside. Unexpectedly having to deal with Rodriguez is also something he will have to ponder, as well as whenever Di Maria moves over.
Tactical thoughts For France-Honduras:
1) How Espinoza deals with Debuchy will be interesting to see, as the Wigan man seems to always bring his best against top sides.
2) The same be said of Jerry Bengston, as he and Costly have more experience together than the fine young combination of Varane of Sakho.
3) Still no one on Honduras, not even Palacios, can come close to dealing with Pogba. Any quality from him with the front three could be a long day for Valladares. He definitely should test Valladares from distance, so too Grizemann and Benzema, while Valbuena can just curl it in.
4) Beckler will certainly have his hands full and must have a career game today against Grizemann.
This Kickaround Thread will always serve as the prematch thread, with just lineups and thoughts about the contests.
1) Surprised that Hitzfeld went with Djourou instead of young Schar. Shame that the rising Basel force will not be in the lineup.
2) This match will still be decided on the flanks, as the true strengths of this team. Valencia and Montero have to win the matchup against the formidable duo that is Rodriguez and Litchsteiner.
3) This could be Josip Drmic breakthrough after a star making season out of nowhere for Nurnberg.
(More to come in this thread, stay tuned.....)