Music Thread #1 for 11/19/08: "I'm Not Aretha Franklin"- Cassie (You Sure Aren't)


Photo from allhiphop.com

I just don't know what to say about this interview, until after some of these quotes:
AllHipHop.com Alternatives: Are you still working on the new project?

Cassie: I’m hoping to finish up before Thanksgiving. That’s my goal because I’ve been working on it for a minute now. It’s great. It’s really coming together. I have a lot of content. Not sure what we’re going to pick yet. But it’s all coming together, finally…

This is just another example of an artist in the music industry having almost no clue the direction his, or in this case her, album will be going. Cassie, who may I remind you or info you for the first time, got her deal by just being able to remember Bigge's verse on Juicy (besides the exterior look she has of course), doesn't have definite final say on her own album. Her own album.

But it's gets better. Especially when the movie question comes in?
AHHA: What was it like acting on the big-screen [Step Up 2: The Streets]?

Cassie: It was nice to get my feet wet. It was a small part for me. I don’t know…it was the perfect movie for me at the time, because it was just what I needed to step outside the music industry box and just see what else there was out there – for a second. I never expected to be able to shoot a movie that soon, but I don’t know…it was a crazy experience and it was great.

Sigh, Step UP 2, to start an acting career. You got to take what you got to take I say (and this is before the money started getting real sparse around the way), but damn.
Finally, the best excerpt is the one I will use for last:
AHHA: I also remember you wanting to develop your experience as a performer after the 106 & Park incident where your live performance wasn’t up to many people’s standard, and you later expressed that it didn’t meet your own standard. What did you learn from that?

Cassie: I think more than anything, people were mean. I couldn’t ask for things to go any other type of way. I don’t regret how it went, and there was a reason why that happened. But at the same time I have to take the blow for it. That was my own fault for not being prepared and not saying anything to anyone when I knew that I wasn’t. I’ve gone in with my vocal coach.

I’ve made it clear to people that I’m not Aretha Franklin. They’re going to see me perform and entertain, but they’re not going to see my blow. I wouldn’t ever take credit for anything like that. It’s just not what I do. I’ve gone in and have tried to develop it. Either running on the treadmill and singing and doing whatever I have to do to prove to people because second chances are rare. I’ve definitely gotten one, so I’m going for it. I’m going for mine.

First, give her credit for taking self-responsibility in that abysmal performance on that abysmal show that day.

With that out of the way, I have to give today's big HAHAHAHAHAHAHA award for what she has stated here. And she has said a mouth full.

Credit has to be given to her frankness again with the Aretha quote. But we already knew that.

Heck, she isn't even a Mary J.Blige or (and this is where it really gets bad) a Rihanna in terms of the singing range. If she stated that she wasn't those two figures instead of a world class belter like Ms. Franklin, then I would have certainly gave her love here and become a fan of hers no matter how many lumps her career takes from then on out. Because Cassie knows why she is in this industry, and it's sad to see how she has, and will always be, a limited artist with little to no real musical talent she has.

The brutal harsh reality, given to you from The Whole Delivery.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andrew Jones' Media Portfolio

The Cinema For 8/20/10: Only The Nanny Serves The Good Stuff This Week