Music Thread #1 For 3/29/10: The Monday Runthrough

Let's just get right into it:
Phil Collins' recent times will make you shed a tear (Photo from Lovekin/Getty)
Looks like Sony continue to show oppressive the rulers that be in the music industry are. And why they would want to undercut their artists is beyond me:
If you want to watch a BeyoncĂ© video, one place you shouldn't be headed is BeyoncĂ©'s own YouTube channel. In an apparent piracy crackdown, Sony has blocked her videos; visit the channel and you're likely to see a message: “This video contains content from Sony Music Entertainment, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.”
I really wish Beyonce' would take a stand here and call her label out if she knows anything about this. I would instantly become a supporter of hers if she did just that.

Sadly, she'll probably keep quiet and continue to just happily collect the fat checks. And artists will once again miss a chance to turn around the power in the industry away from the corrupt heads of labels.

In the tell us something we don't know news that you probably have heard today, Ricky Martin came out .

Just when things were starting to get better for Bone thugs n Harmony, Flesh Bone had to go get arrested

J.Cole could be coming to your college soon.

This read on Phil Collins is real sobering .
Phil Collins is putting the finishing touches on a new Motown covers collection despite suffering severe nerve damage to his hands that has made drumming nearly impossible. “The first time I picked up the drum sticks after my neck surgery, they flew across the room because I couldn’t grip them,” he says. “When I play, I’ve had to tape the sticks to my hand. It’s like wearing a condom. It’s very strange. It really cramps your style.”

The nerve damage has made more than just drumming difficult for the 59-year-old musician. “I can’t let go of the spoon or the knife when I eat,” he tells RS. “I can’t open a car door. I won’t get gruesome with you, but there’s a lot of things I can’t do. I’m left handed. I’m having an operation soon and there’s a good chance of it improving over time.”

Fabolous new video "Body Ya"....still probably won't get "Loso's Way" pass gold status I think:


At first, I thought it was a little inappropriately. But now, though I still think it was a weird setting for it, I don't mind Rihanna performing "Rude Boy" at The Kids Choice Awards Saturday.

The reason why i say "No" now is because Miley Cirus did far worse with her pole at the Teen Choice Awards last summer. Yes, I know that was "teens" and this was "kids", but the technical naming is the only difference here. Both the "Teen Choice Awards" and the "Kids Choice Awards" are virtually the same type of show hitting at the same demographic.

But probably the bigger story here is the fact that Rihanna performed at the really second rate Kids Choice Awards.

With how poor "Rated R" has sold so far, she needs those kids to buy her CD. And it's actually a smart move on her part,though it is embarrassing for an artist of her established presence to be performing on that type of show.

And from the great Jay Smooth, this is a hilarious take on a clearly noticeable thing that Drake does in his rhymes .

Your first music thread of March 29.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Andrew Jones' Media Portfolio

The Cinema For 8/20/10: Only The Nanny Serves The Good Stuff This Week