The Sports Thread #1 For 11/27/13: 2013-14 UEFA Champions League, Group Stage Matchday 10 (PostMatch Versions)
Photo from UEFA.com/Getty
Team of the Day
Best XI of @ChampionsLeague Matchday 10 - De Gea; Evra, Rakitskiy, Evans, Arbeloa; Vidal, Giggs, Douglas Costa; Di Maria, Rooney, Bale
— Andrew Jerell Jones (@sluggahjells) November 27, 2013
Player of the Day: Arturo Vidal & Ryan Giggs
On a normal day, a player like Vidal would be the clear winner, with a hat trick performance that wasn't produced by Messi or Ronaldo. However, with how wonderful United's display was tonight, a 5-0 thrashing over Leverkusen, it was a historic result that featured at the heart of it, a soon to be 40-year-old legend in Giggs.
The timeless Welchman's passing was excellent and his smooth movement was ever present. Giggs continues to show why, at such an elite level, why he continues to still be around this club and this sport.
More to come from this thread at The Whole Delivery.
Halftime Thread - Goal of the Day
Goal Gareth Bale - Real Madrid 1-0 Galatasaray... by Sport-Today-2014
1) That beauty from Gareth Bale was the only thing positive for Madrid in a first half that has seen Sergio Ramos add to his red card stats. Dumb for Ramos to get a last defender's red on Bulut to reduce his team to 10 men, and the ramifications of his actions proved to hurt his team as Bulut score the equalizer after a great pass from Drogba.
2) Gareth Bale could have had a hat trick this half. He missed the clear chance in the beginning he normally buries and then missed a chance towards the end of the half, shooting high. All in the balance in the second half at the Bernabeu.
3) A near perfect first half for United, who survived Rio Ferdinand getting burned by Stefan Kiessling and saw the brilliance of Wayne Rooney and Ryan Giggs shine for them. But Sami Hyypia pays the price for starting Emre Can at left back.
4) PSG have controlled the first half against Olympiacos with 71% possession, but only are up 1-0.
5) City have not looking good today against an inspired Plzen side who have showed today that they won't be embarrassed again.
6) Juventus have gotten the penalty and goal they required, but they aren't out of the woods yet against Copenhagen.
7) Claudio Bravo has had an excellent last few months for both club and country, but he showed woeful goalkeeping in allowing Luiz Adriano to score a vital goal for Donetsk against Sociedad, as again, Carlos Vela has been silent in Champions League group play. Still, a second half to change things.
8) Nemanja Matic header has even the score for Benfica, but they have to win this game just as much as Anderlecht does.
Will be back for Postgame thread stuff.
Pre-Game Version After Bayern Munich's 3-1 win over CSKA Moscow
1) Key for Leverkusen today not to lose at home against a United side with injuries too.
2) Juventus really need to win at home against Copenhagen.
3) A chance for Jese Rodriguez to really make a name for himself today for Madrid in an important match for Galatasaray, as no Ronaldo for Los Blancos.
4) The loser of Donetsk and Sociedad will certainly be out of Europe altogether in my book. A must not lose game for either side.
5) Benfica have to win at home today against Anderlecht to put pressure on Oympiacos going into the final matchday.
6) How many goals will City score tonight. They need to try and close the gap on Bayern with hopes of topping the group when they play at the Alianz in 13 days.
Will be back for the Halftime show thread, and of course the post game recap.